Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Public Show Or Private Practice...

Scripture:
Psalm 55:16-22
Matthew 6:1-6 & 16-18


In Matthew we are told to practice our righteousness in secret.  We are not to be a show case for the world to see.  Growing up Methodist I never felt the need to be baptized, since I was baptized as an infant.  Recently I have felt God stirring my heart to be baptized by submersion.  I had a hard time with it because it was a public display.  I didn't want to go before an entire congregation so that they could see what I was doing.  Another aspect is the alter call for prayer.  I rarely ever go down to pray.  I have always felt I was going on display for everyone to see me pray.

Jesus tells us to pray  and fast in secret.  I don't think he meant it as denying ourselves intimate moments with Him.  Praying at the alter is for one's self to lay before the Lord at His table, not a public display.  I tend to go to the extreme which is a danger.  God doesn't want us to parade around strutting.  The important thing is not so much where you pray or how you fast.  What is important  is where the focus is.

By being baptized in front of the congregation I am showing my focus is on Jesus.  Hopefully it will help others to be able to do the same.  When walking to the alter to pray the focus should be on Jesus not look at me go and pray.  As long as we have our hearts right with God it really doesn't matter.

As long as our hearts are right with God He will be the focus not us.  Problems and worries can also get in the way of focusing on Jesus.  Psalm 55:22 states "Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you;  He will never allow the righteous to be shaken."  We need to take our burdens to him and leave them there.  God is willing to share our burdens and take them over.  I need to take each problem and instead of focusing on it I need to hand it off to Jesus.  Allow my focus to shift from the problem to Jesus.  Once it is in His hands I can let go.  As in a relay race I pass the baton to Him and He will finish the race with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment