Monday, January 24, 2011

Idols Or God


Scripture:

What is your god?  What idols do you worship?  Without even knowing it we can displace God with other idols to worship.  For some it may be money.  For others it might be their cars or motorcycles.  Some may place their jobs or careers in the place where God belongs.  Some people place their families above God.

A lot of Christians might not even realize that they have replaced God with another god.  As much as I want God to be first in my life I can see myself easily slipping by placing my family above Him.  Even though I know earthly possessions do not last I can also find myself yearning for that new cell phone, or computer.  I have often yearned for a camper so that I can take my family camping.  We could then have those vacations where we spend lots of quality time together.  

Even though we can appear to justify it still displace God.  The truth is our God is a jealous God and doesn't want anything to take His place.  Deuteronomy 4:23-24 (NIV) "23 Be careful not to forget the covenant of the LORD your God that he made with you; do not make for yourselves an idol in the form of anything the LORD your God has forbidden. 24 For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God."  We must guard our hearts to ensure we do not fall into this trap.  Satan will whisper subtle words to your heart convincing you to justify dethroning God.  

There is nothing wrong with making lots of money or owning a new car.  There is nothing wrong with going to the gym and working out till you look like Arnold Schwarzenegger.  We are supposed to hold our families in a high place in our hearts.  The key is to not let any of these things, or whatever your idol maybe, above the one and true God.  Christ is to be the lord of our lives not these things.  By keeping your focus on Jesus you can keep Him first in your life.  We need to constantly pray or commune with Christ.  We need to read His word and follow what the Bible teaches.  These can help us ensure that Jesus is the most important person in our lives, that he remains above all else...

No comments:

Post a Comment