Monday, August 1, 2011

Held to a Higher Standard




I remember years ago my grandmother had loaned me some money.  I in turn had given some to my brother.  I had made a comment to my grandmother that my brother hadn’t paid me back yet.  I stated I was a little frustrated with him for not paying me back.  She commented that I still owed her money and she never asked for it.  Shouldn’t I do the same with my brother?  Isn’t that what the Bible teaches?  Sometimes I can still taste the rubber from my shoes after having to open mouth and insert feet…

Anyone can loan money or personal items and expect them back.  Anyone can demand repayment.  Jesus teaches us to be merciful.  He teaches us to loan without expecting payment.  After being chastised by my grandmother I the depth of Jesus’s words hit me.  Luke 6:34 “And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you?  Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full.”  As Christians we are to live at a higher standard than those who belong to the world.  After that day with my grandmother I strove to lend without ever expecting it back.  Instead of a loan it was a gift.  If I got the money back I would be happy.  If I never saw it again I wouldn’t think twice about it.  I gave because it was needed.  Jesus would want me to.  To have it given back would be a gift from Him…  Recently I was reminded of this.  A need was provided even though Nancy and I didn’t have the means to provide we gave.  We counted on one thing and God reminded me that we shouldn’t expect anything at all.  I say this only to share that no matter how much we know and have come as Christians we still make mistakes.  We can still get it wrong even though we know better.  Two things to remember Jesus forgives us all sins, and we are held to a higher standard…

No comments:

Post a Comment