Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Being Fit...



One of my best moments as a parent is coming home from work.  Little Cora and sometimes Jane and Lois, run up to me crying out Daddy.  They give me a huge hug and get all excited.  My older two use to be that way when they were younger.  As they grew older it faded until now all I get is hi if they see me. 
As I reflect on the scriptures I think that describes us with Jesus.  Someday we will all be face to face with our savior.  As a new Christian young in our faith we get all excited about the prospect.  We eagerly wait for that wonderful day when we will see our savior face to face.  As we mature in our faith the excitement can fade.  We look forward to seeing Him but the enthusiasm when we were toddlers has faded.  If we are not careful our walk with Christ will be drab and boring, much like talking with a teenager.

We need to stay spiritually fit.  In order to do this we must exercise our faith regularly.  Much like we need to exercise our bodies.  It is important to be fit mind, body, and spirit.  Our bodies are holy temples unto the Lord.  1 Corinthians 6:19 (NASB) “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?”  Just this morning I had a conversation at the coffee shop about physical fitness.  Knowing I need to work out and doing so is not the same.  I can know I need to work out but if I don’t I will never get into better shape.  If I do not exercise my spirit it cannot grow strong and healthy.  If I do not exercise my mind it will lose its edge and become dull.  As James so aptly puts it we must do more than read the word, we must be doers.  It isn’t enough to buy those sneakers or gym equipment.  We must actually use them.  We must actually stimulate our minds as well. 

Let us keep our spiritual youth and be excited for the day when we see our Lord and Savior face to face…

No comments:

Post a Comment