Friday, July 29, 2011

Authority...



As I read the scripture verses I had several thoughts come to mind.  One of them is why would God put certain people in power.  Either all authority is in place by God or the Bible isn’t truthful.  So I ask myself why would God put people like Hitler or Husain in power.  History is full of evil people in power.  Why would He place them in power?  You would think He would only place Godly men and women in position of authority. 
 
To be honest I really do not have a good answer.  Saul didn’t start out bad.  Over time he slowly lost sight of God.  The old saying absolute power corrupts absolutely does seem to have the sting of truth.  Because we are in a fallen world there is a constant battle going on between good and evil.  There are constant battles between being sinful and righteous.  I cannot begin to guess why God would allow or place people who are evil to be in power.  We just need to understand that all authority is given by Him.  We to be respectful of the authority placed over us.  God is the ultimate authority in all existence.  

We may not agree with someone in authority over us.  We may not like them very much.  We do however, have to accept their authority.  It is easy to call oneself a Christian and do what is “right” when things are going good, when the person over us is also Godly.  Can we do the same when we are at odds with the authority over us?  I have had a boss who professes to be Christian.  I have no doubt they believe and really think they are living a Godly life.  There have been times when in practice their actions have been just the opposite.  I have also had bosses who didn’t talk much about faith but where in fact Godly.  They lived the life of Christ as best as they could.  Their actions were not always right but in the end they did what they could to make it right.  It was easy to respect and follow the second leader.  There wasn’t much challenge in it.  For the first leader it was much more difficult.  But the right thing is to follow their leadership and accept their authority just as much as with the second leader.

Jesus never promised an easy life or an easy path.  He did promise to help shoulder the burden.  We can cast our cares and worries upon him.  Matthew 11:28-30 “’Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.’”  So the next time you question the authority over you and it is tough to follow just remember that Jesus is the ultimate authority.  Jesus is in control and in the end ever knee will bow and every tongue confess…

No comments:

Post a Comment