Thursday, August 4, 2011

Faith & Works



There are times in my life when I think for every step in faith forward I end up taking two steps backward.  If you doubt you are growing in faith just look at the spiritual attacks you are up against.  I have found that the stronger my relationship is with Jesus and the stronger my desire to do His will the stronger the enemy will attack.  If you just want to be close to Jesus but do nothing to accomplish the work He has set before you Satan has nothing to worry about.  To work without faith is work in vain. Faith without work is of no threat to the enemy.  James 2:14-17 states:

What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them?  Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food.  If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?  In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

But if we really build on our faith and work the will of God we can move the mountains.  We can change this world.  Satan does not want us to complete these tasks so he will do everything in his power to stop you.  A good friend of mine always reminds me of Psalm 91 when I struggle. Psalm 91:1-3:

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”
                Surely he will save you
                from the fowler’s snare
                and from the deadly pestilence.



All of us struggle with hardships.  We all go through spiritual warfare.  If we rely on God for strength, protection and support we will weather the storm and be all the stronger.  Faith is like any muscle we have in our bodies.  If your arm is left unused it grows weak and lethargic eventually becoming useless.  If you lift weights and work your arms they will grow and become stronger.  If we work our faith we will suffer attacks from Satan.  However, if we hold course and stay firm in God’s arms we will come through all the stronger.  Just remember that when the chips are down you are not alone.  You have friends who are there for you and most importantly God is with you.  As James says let us all be not just hearers of the Word but doers of the Word…

No comments:

Post a Comment