Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Paralyzed by Fear and Shame



The other day Nancy and I went in a book store.  While browsing the books throughout the store two events took place.  I like to browse three sections in the bookstore Religion, Christianity specifically, computer related, and science fiction.  I was looking for a science fiction book when a stranger walked in the isle.  He asked if I read sci-fi and I said some.  He started talking about various books and authors.  Nancy was in the Bible section at the time.  I kept thinking I wanted to end the conversation so I could join her.  Shortly after we started talking Nancy joined us.  It was obvious this man was not a believer.  Here we were given the perfect opportunity to witness and it never crossed my mind.  Nancy prayed for the right opening and what to say.  Her mind was blank.  Looking in hind sight I firmly believe God closed her mind at that time.  I also felt I failed.  Did I fail to witness because of fear or shame.  I told Nancy at least she prayed for the guy.  Looking back at the event though I think that as the Holy Spirit came upon us he had to leave.  Putting pieces together I think Satan was using him to get at us.  When the Holy Spirit came he had to flee.

I can’t keep thinking though that somehow I failed.  There was an opportunity to share Christ and I didn’t.  Was it really a battle of spirits or just me trying to justify not sharing the gospel?  How often do we let an opportunity slip by?  We can come up with all kinds of excuses and justify our actions.  The bottom line is if we do not reach out then who will?  How many people will be lost because of our fears and shame?  How do we overcome our failures?  We need to read the Bible and be in constant prayer.  The disciples went from denying Jesus at the cross to boldly preaching the gospel.  Paul went from persecuting all followers of the way to being a tremendous building block for Christ.  How were they able to overcome?  They were filled with the Holy Spirit.  Acts 2:1-4 (NIV)

When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place.  Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting.  They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them.  All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

Next time you are in doubt simply pray for the Holy Spirit to fill you.  Allow God to work through you open your heart to Him and he will enable you and embolden you to do His work…

No comments:

Post a Comment