Wednesday, March 30, 2011

We Will Miss God's Blessings...



I remember years ago I had lent my brother money.  After a few weeks I was short and needed a little bit of cash.  I got upset with my brother for not paying me back.  This seemed to be a reoccurring theme not only with me but others.  My grandmother at the time reminded me that I should not expect payment back.  After all she loaned me more money than I did him and I hadn’t paid her back either.  I was humbled and realized my sin.  From that time on whenever I give money out I try to never expect it back.  It isn’t a loan but a gift.  If it returns great if not then God blessed that person through me.  This isn’t necessarily the easiest thing for me to do even today.

It is however, what God expects us to do.  As Luke 6:34 tells us even sinners loan money expecting payment.  Are we not called to a higher standard after all?  I have learned something over the years.  Even when I give money I don’t have to spare, with the right motives, I never lack.  God manages to provide to me even in my short fall.  How much more blessed would I be if I could just bring myself to give a little more.  My blessings are not always returned in financial windfalls.  It is a blessing to know that I made a difference to someone.  That maybe in my giving they might see Christ in a new light.

Giving is not just in money either.  We can give unconditional love; we can give mercy, our prayers, our talents and services.  Giving is not limited to just possessions and money.  Giving is also the giving of ourselves.  God knows our hearts and our motives.  If we tithe or give to others as an investment we miss the point and we will miss God’s blessings…

No comments:

Post a Comment