Friday, August 20, 2010

To Grow or Not To Grow

Scripture:



To grow or not to grow that is the question at hand.  Just as an infant grows into toddler hood then into a child.  Eventually the child will grow into adulthood.  So must an infant Christian grow spiritually.  We start out as infant Christians and grow into toddler Christians.  Eventually we need to grow into mature adult Christians.  I think our society is full of infant Christians.  Just as a toddler depends on older children and adults so an infant Christian depends on adult Christians.  Too many people leave it to others.  

Most churches have a core group of people who do 80% of the work.  That leaves the majority of the people doing 20% or less of the work. How many times have you heard someone say "Oh someone else can do it" or "Someone else will take care of it"?  In our society today we cannot wait for another to handle the task, specially the task God is asking you to perform.

The next question we ask is how do we grow spiritually.  2 Peter 3:18 "18But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen."  We need to read scripture and mediate on God's word.  We must devote time to prayer, and listen to what God is telling us.  Fellowship with other Christians is also important.  Someone once told me that As Christians we are constantly in three different rolls.  The first roll is we are mentored by someone who acts as a mentor to us.  Second we have equal fellowship, friends or others who hold us accountable and gives support and aid.  Third we are to mentor others, helping them to grow in knowledge and spirituality.  

As John 154-6 states we must abide in the vine.  We need to live with Christ in us if we want to grow.  Christ is our strength.  He is the living water and the bread of life.



Prayer:
God I pray that you will help me to continue to grow as a Christian.  Help me not to stay stagnant but to flourish.   As a plant needs fertilizer or nutrients I need spiritual nutrients.  God I pray that you will help me receive the spiritual nutrition that I need to grow.  Surround me with Christians so that I may not fall away or stay stagnant.  Enable me to help another Christian today, use me to help someone else grow...

No comments:

Post a Comment