Monday, August 16, 2010

Needs For Fellowship

Scripture:


6If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. 7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all[a] sin.
 8If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

5so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.

 18 The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."

**********************************************************

A character On the TV show Babylon 5 often will greet someone with the following line. "My good friend Mr. Garibaldi..." or "My good friend Delenn"  He will greet various people with my good friend...  The character is perhaps lonely seeking true friendship with someone, anyone really.  Through bad choices in his life he finds himself increasingly alone on a crowded space station.  

Two things from this comes to mind.  One our choices makes an impact on who we become, on our lives.  Bad choices separates us from God and those we love.  Londo only wants to restore his people to their once glory and in his mind rightful place in the universe.  His methods though came with a price.  Through the series you see how his choices effected all those around him, even people he never sees or meets.  it goes to show that the means do not justify the ends.  We have to be careful that we do not make poor choices or the wrong choices.  We can do the wrong things thinking we are doing right all because we have good intentions.  Sin is still just that sin.  It can turn people away from God instead of bringing them closer.  We separate ourselves from not only fellow Christians but from God as well.  We must be careful that we not only have the right intension but our methods are right as well.

The main thing with Londo's life, his greeting, is his loneliness.  He desperately wants someone to be his friend.  He wants someone to share life with, to confide in.  As the series progress you can see his loneliness grow.  He is searching something we all need and desire, fellowship and companionship.  God said it wasn't good for man to be alone.  Romans 12:5 (NIV) "5so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others."  Being in one body we are not alone, we are not meant to be alone.  1 John 1:7 (NIV) "5so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others."  God never meant for us to bare our burdens alone.

Recently I hit a spiritual low in my life.  I would have continued to stumble and fall if it hadn't been for fellowship with others.  God knew I would stumble and fall.  He also knew I needed others to help me through.  I received comfort, council and encouragement through emails from two dear friends.  Despite my feeble attempts not to have lunch I had lunch with someone who is quickly become dear to my heart as a brother in Christ.  He never looked down upon me even though I knocked myself down.  He never said you weak and pathetic person, even though that was what I was telling myself.  Instead he showed me friendship and understanding.  He helped me find strength in Christ when I couldn't see it.  His fellowship came at a time when I needed it.  

How often are we to be that fellowship for another?  How many times do we fail?  How many times do we answer God's call to be there for someone else.  It is important for us to be mindful and watchful.  You never know when God wants to use you for someone else's support.  We all need friendship and love.  Fellowship is not just for sharing joy and good times.  It is a time to share one another's burdens.  As the saying goes many hands make light work.  If we share in our hardships we can ease each other's burdens.

**********************************************************

Prayer:

Lord I know it is not good to be alone.  Please provide the fellowship I need when I need it.  Please help me to be a friend to another when they are in need.  Give me strength and guidance.  I pray for your wisdom and I pray for your fellowship...

No comments:

Post a Comment