Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Why Did I Trade For That?


Scripture:
Genesis 25:29-34
(NIV)

Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished. He said to Jacob, “Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I’m famished!” (That is why he was also called Edom.) 

Jacob replied, “First sell me your birthright.” 

“Look, I am about to die,” Esau said. “What good is the birthright to me?” 

But Jacob said, “Swear to me first.” So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob.
Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left. 

So Esau despised his birthright. 

Devotional:
How many times have we traded something of worth for something that is worthless?  We give up treasures for junk.  Why is that?  For some reason we have a perception that what we are gaining is of more value.  We do not realize what we have given up is more valuable.  I have often wondered how Esau could give up his birthright for a meager bowl of soup, one lousy meal.  It would be the same as giving up an inheritance for a Big Mac.   Not too bright if you ask me.  So why do we do it?  Why give up treasures for mere junk?

I think Esau lost sight of God.  He was in a bind and needed a quick fix.  Once he ate the soup and realized his mistake he then despised it.  How often do we lose sight of God and attempt to fix it ourselves?  Once we did it our way it can become easy to be resentful.  The resentment can lead us farther away from God, and our loved ones.  We build barriers preventing us from receiving God’s blessings.  Then we can become more resentful building more barriers.  This in turn, blocks more of God’s blessings leading to more resentment.  The cycle continues to spiral out of control.  The good news is that all we have to do is turn our focus back on God.  We can let go of the hate and resentment through the grace that the Holy Spirit gives us.  It is my belief that Esau lost sight of God because of a temporary problem.  He didn’t allow God to work in his life.  The result led to resentment which led to bitterness and hatred. 

What is in your life that has caused you to lose sight of God?  What is causing resentment, anger, or even hatred?  I have made mistakes in my life that I resent.  This has caused problems for me in my relationship not only with God but with my wife and family as well.  I want my focus to remain on God and not dwell on the past.  It is through His grace that I can overcome all things.  I do not have to worry about my needs, or that of my family.  God has promised to provide. Matthew 6:25-27 (NIV) Jesus says the following:
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?  Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?”

No comments:

Post a Comment