Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Resumes & Biographies


Scripture:
John 1:1-14
(NIV)

  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. 

  There was a man sent from God whose name was John. He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe. He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light. 

  The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God. 

  The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. 

Devotional:

Resumes, biographies, autobiographies are just some ways we tell others about ourselves.  We give descriptions of who we are in a variety of ways.  John 1 gives us information on two people.  We are given an account of who John the Baptist is and of course who Jesus is.  A short and simple description is all we need to tell us who Jesus is.  John 8:12 (NIV) states “…I am the light of the world…”  John the Baptist is stated as being a messenger.  John 1:7 “He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe.”  David is known as Acts 13:22 (NIV) “…I have found David son of Jesse, a man after God’s own heart…” Ephesians 1:1 Paul describes himself with the following introduction.  “Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To God’s holy people in Ephesus, the faithful in Christ Jesus:”

The list can go on and on with descriptions of various people in the Bible.  The question to ask is “who am I?”  How would you be described?  How do you describe yourself?  How you view yourself will impact how others view you.  I tend to be very critical or hard on myself. I find that I rate myself lower than what I really am.  For example I often think “who am I to write these devotions?”  My skills are not as good or I am not that good at this or that.  I down play myself, but God sees a different picture.  Who am I to write?  God says I am the person He wants to write these devotions.  God has graced me with the ability to learn quickly and figure things out.  This has in turn enabled me to become successful in the I.T. field.  Who am I?  How would I describe myself?  I must confess poorly when in truth I am a child of God.  I have a lot to offer.  God is with me and has enabled me.  Through Him I can do all things.  What about you?  What would your bio look like?  How do you rate yourself?  I challenge you to look at yourself through your own eyes and compare it to how God sees you.  You might be surprised at the results…

No comments:

Post a Comment