Thursday, November 10, 2011

Who is Bigger?


Scripture:
John 3:22-26

Today we seem to be filled with the goal of self fulfillment.  It has become about me and what “I” can do.  This has been emphasized over the last several days as I hear people talk about their accomplishments, “I never fail”, “I made this company what it is today”, “I did…”  Recently I have compiled a ninety day devotional book and self published it.  It is easy for me to turn around and say “look at what I wrote and did.”  The accomplishment becomes something I achieved.  

This couldn’t be further from the truth.  I have written over two hundred devotionals since I began writing them.  I know that every devotion is not liked by everyone.  I am sure some people think I got some of it wrong.  I will state that I couldn’t have written over two hundred of them myself.  I couldn’t even have successfully written the first.  It is through Christ and guidance of the Holy Spirit that anything can be written.  As John the Baptist stated I must decrease so that Christ can increase.  My life has to become less about me and more about Christ.  He needs to be the central focus of all I do.

This focus becomes harder and harder in a society that has become all about self.  What is in it for?  How do I benefit?  How can I get the credit?  When we focus on self we lose sight of God.  He becomes less important in our lives.  We have to become less so that Christ can become more.  It isn’t about me but about Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment