Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Giving Thanks


Scripture:
Psalm 107:31-43

How often do we say thank you?  When we say thanks are we just spitting out words?  How grateful are we for what we have?  Looking back over the years I realize that God has answered some really old prayers a long time ago.  I give thanks but is it a heartfelt deep down thankfulness that I offer?  When I was in the Navy I wanted a family.  I wanted to be married and have three to four kids.  It was important to me that my wife stayed home with the kids taking care of the home.  Granted this wasn’t necessary or had to be done but something I felt important.  I remember before getting married I commented on one of us needs to stay at home with the kids when we have them.  If you really have your heart set on a career I will stay home.  OK, I have two huge “thank you” to give to God.  God has given me a wonderful wife who puts up with me.  Beyond that He has given me not three or four but five very wonderful beautiful kids.  He has also enabled Nancy to be a stay at home mom.  The best part is that she has also been able to home-school our kids, a huge bonus.

I truly have lots to be thankful for.  Sure I say thanks God for this or for that but is it really a deep appreciation for the gifts He has given me?  There are times when we need to stop and reflect on what God has given to us.  We need to see the blessings in our lives, even the small unnoticed ones.  We need to give thanks and truly appreciate what He has done for us and given us.  He has given us the greatest gift of all, redemption.  Do we take it for granted as well?  Take a moment and look into your life and see the blessings hidden throughout your life.  Let us all have a grateful heart and give thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment