Friday, April 1, 2011

I Don't Want To Grow Up



I remember when Aaron was turning six or seven.  He was excited and could hardly wait for the big day.  He was excited to be a year older.  I started teasing him that instead of turning eight he was going to be six instead.  I would then count down his years till he was one.  It became a game between us for some time.

My mom use to tell me that when I was an adult I would wish I was back in school again.  To tell the truth there are times I miss being a kid but I have never wanted to go through childhood again.  As children we cannot wait to grow up and be big. 

So why is it that when it comes to spiritual growth we tend to not grow up.  We remain toddlers relying on mature Christians to survive.  1 Corinthians 14:20 tells us “Brothers and sisters, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults.” 1 Peter 2:2 states “Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation,   We are meant to grow spiritually.  As a child grows physically we must also grow spiritually.   

A child is not strong enough to defend themselves.  They rely up on parents and other adults for protection.  As a child grows they can take care of themselves and better protect themselves.  As infant Christians we are more susceptible to Satan’s attacks.  It is through spiritual maturing that our faith grows and we are able to withstand the attacks.   It is through Christ that we can prevail in all things.  Let us all grow spiritual with Christ in our hearts…

No comments:

Post a Comment