Thursday, April 7, 2011

Walking With God



Even before Nancy and I were married I remember having conversations about discipline.  We were discussing how we would discipline our children.  I remember telling her that I believed in spanking.  As I grew up there were several times I wouldn’t do something I knew was wrong.  I knew if I got caught I would be on the receiving end of my dad’s belt.  I also knew I didn’t want to be on the receiving end of his belt.  So my conclusion was not to do the task I knew was wrong.  Of course this didn’t stop me all the time just most of it.

How much are we like that?  God will discipline us when we need it.  He will guide and correct us to help us stay on the right track.  There are times when we know it is a sin so we avoid the task.  Other times we might think no one will know so I can get away with it.  Unlike our earthly parents God does know everything we say and do.  We can lie to others and we can even lie to ourselves.  No matter what we say or try to hide God knows the truth.

Discipline, if we allow it, can help us grow.  In Proverbs 2 we are told to seek insight and wisdom in God.  In seeking God’s wisdom and insight we will learn more about God.  Our respect, or fear, for God will grow.  Then our lives will be upon protected paths.  We will be in God’s presence and He will protect and guide us.  We will live in the land that He has set aside for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment