Sunday, September 19, 2010

Team Night Meeting

Friday night Nancy went to a home-school group meeting.  This post is a recap of the meeting and a list of several recommended books...
________________________________________

HI. The meeting was so wonderful last night that I wanted to share some of the things that were discussed. Also, some awesome books were recommended, and I am listing them.


Meeting Notes

Key Idea - The greatest thing we can do for our children is pray for them!!!

We need to remember to bring all of our concerns before God in prayer. It is through the power of prayer our concerns and difficulties can be addressed. We need to remember, however, that God is not a gumball machine that you put in the money and out pops the gumball. It is God's will that is done, and it doesn't always look like ours.

We need to remember that God is with us all the time even when we do not realize it. He is there. He is even with you in moments of complete chaos when your day is falling apart around you. We don't have to talk to Him - especially in these moments - we just need to remember that we are not alone.

(I also want to ask ladies at the meeting to forgive me for any suggestion that I know how to handle moments of complete chaos. I do NOT know. I still try to do it on my own power. I pray that God sees fit to let me know. All I know is that God is with me, and I am not alone.)

We need to guard our tongue. What comes out of our mouths wells up from what we have in our hearts. We need to fill our hearts with love and goodness so that in times of stress the words which come out of our mouths are the words which God would have us speak. Let us strive to fill our hearts with God's word and his love so our words are God's and build each other up - not the words of the flesh which destroy (and destroy our precious children.)

We also need to guard our thoughts and not listen to those which destroy us and others but to keeps our thoughts focused on God and the beautiful things He says and says about us.

If there is something else you feel I need to say - PLEASE let me know or post it yourself, and please forgive me if I have forgotten to mention something. The conversation was so amazing. I didn't take notes so I am just doing this from memory.

Book List:

The Power of a Praying Parent - Stormie Omartian

Praying for the Next Generation - Sally Michael

Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free - DeMoss

The Tongue: A Creative Force - Capps

Five Love Languages for Apology - Chapman (I did not see this book on Amazon so I am not sure about the title. The Five Love Languages is an awesome book also mentioned last night.)

Age of Opportunity -Paul Tripp - (Highly recommeded for moms of teens. It is the sequel to Sheparding A Child's Heart. It is a GREAT guide for pre-teen and teens and amazingly effective)

Falling for God - Gary W. Moon - (Having a relationship led walk with God. Not trying to do the fruit of the spirit but walking with God easily. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!)

The following books are excellent and will really challenge you in your walk with the Lord but are heavier reading:

Pursuit of God - A.W. Tozer (Anything by him is amazing! Teaches you how God can increase in you while you decrease.)

Of the Imitation of Christ - Thomas a Kempis

The Sacrament of the Present Moment - DeCaussade

Teresa of Avila: Selections from the Interior Castle - Trans. by Kieran Kavanaugh (Absolutely wonderful! Teaches you how to pray constantly.)

Hope this will bless you all!

Love in Christ,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment