Monday, September 13, 2010

Scripture:


Yesterday's message at church was on giving.  As our pastor was coming to the end of his sermon he commented on Jesus gave his life.  He gave us everything He had.  A thought came into my mind about how hard was it for God to give His son?  After all Jesus knew He was going to rise from the dead.  So death really didn't have much meaning.  Then it hit me.  As Christ returned from death and has life so do we through Him.  We have life after death because of grace given at the Cross.  Jesus said "It is finished" just before he died.  He paid the wages of sin so that we might have life.  After life here on earth we have eternal life in heaven.  Death no longer has a hold on us.  As Christ is risen so shall we be.  

Jesus gave us everything.  What do we give him back?  Are we cheerful givers or do we horde?  As Nancy and I struggle with our finances we have decided to tithe.  Several months ago I felt God confirm or convict me of what I needed to tithe.  At one point Nancy and I were struggling so much I didn't think we could tithe anymore.  I had enough and was ready to quit.  It appeared to me God wasn't holding up his end of the bargain.  Malachi 3:10 
10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it."
 
God tells us to give and he will give us abundantly.  Nancy and I were giving more than we could afford.  We reached a point where we just didn't have enough to give.  I was ready to call it quits.  Thanks to a few friends I managed to pull myself back together.  As I sought forgiveness and God's support he changed my heart.  He also provided a means for us.  We are not swimming in financial richness but we are blessed and rich beyond what this world can see.

God does keep his promises.  Malachi 3:10 is not a get rich scheme.  It is a promise from God.  If we are faithful and give with the right heart, He will pour out His blessings on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment