Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Who Is Glorified?


Scripture:
Philippians 2:7-9
(NASB)

but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name,

Devotional:

Most people want the spotlight.  They strive for the high profile positions.  There they will surely be noticed and given lots of credit.  We wear our achievements like badges of honor to be displayed for all to see.  When seeking positions of servitude are we looking for our glory or Gods?  Who gets the credit?  There is nothing wrong with recognition for something you have done.  What is important is who is glorified and given credit. 

I use to love giving devotions or sermons in churches.  At the same time I was scared to death to do so.  It was a time when I could stand up and share the words God has given me.  My goals were always the same.  I wanted to make a difference in someone’s life, and for God to be glorified.  Afterwards someone would say I did a good job or what I said spoke to them.  I would give thanks and simply say it wasn’t me.  God gave me the words to share.  He deserves the credit.  Now as I write devotional thoughts most days I do not seek the attention.  It really isn’t me writing.  I pray for God to give me the words to share.

The task itself doesn’t really matter.  What is important is who you give credit to.  Do you keep it, or give it to whom it belongs?  You can stand on the stage, or you can be the person who makes it all happen.  You can be the organizer and planner, or you can be the person working behind the scenes ensuring nothing goes amiss.  If it weren’t for the sound technician a pastor wouldn’t be heard.  If it wasn’t for the janitor the bathrooms would be dirty.  Each task no matter how big or small is equally important.  Each task needs to be done.  Remember Jesus himself came to serve not to be served.  It doesn’t matter what you do.  It matters who is glorified by what is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment