Thursday, February 2, 2012

Don’t Let Somebody Else Do It…


Scripture:
Matthew 25:34-46 (NIV)

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,  I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?  When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?  When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.  For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Devotional:

I remember several years ago driving to Chattanooga.  I was heading up there to look at a new software package we were considering selling.  It was early morning about halfway there we stopped for breakfast.  While we were placing our order someone walked in asking for money for food.  This person looked homeless.  He looked as if he didn’t own anything but the clothes on his back.  I had recently talked with a few friends about scams.  People who look homeless begging for money, by the end of the day they walk away with large sums of money.  I didn’t want to just give this man money.  However, my heart poured out to him.  I felt compelled to do something.  So I walked him up to the counter and paid for his meal.  He gratefully took the food, sat down, and ate in the warmth of the restaurant.  As I reflect over this I cannot count the number of times I had simply walked by not bothering to help. 

It is important to help those who are in need.  However, we do not need to enable wrong doing.  How do you know what to do?  Jesus clearly states that whomever we clothe or feed we do unto Him.  I don’t know about you but I do not wish to go to heaven only to be told I left Christ naked and hungry.  So again how do you know what to do?  A simple answer is to listen to your heart.  Allow the Holy Spirit to speak to you.  If you are listening to God’s quite voice you will know what to do.  When it came to the man at the restaurant my first thought was to walk by.  Something tugged at my heart.  I knew I needed to help that man.  I didn’t say anything or try to preach to him.  When asked for money I simply took him to the counter and let him order his food.  I could see the gratefulness in his eyes.  In that moment I gave Jesus something to eat.  There have been times when I haven’t felt that urge and I did nothing. 

When I am faced with the situation to give or not to give I simply stop to pray.  As I pray I listen for God’s voice prompting me what to do.  If you listen for Him the Holy Spirit will put it upon your heart what to do.  Remember we are to visit the sick, those in prison, comfort those in need.  We are to clothe the naked and feed the hungry.  We are the hands and feet of Heaven.  If we do not do the Work Christ set out for us to do it will not get done.  We cannot take the attitude of “someone else will do it.”  If we all say that then “No one” will do what needs to be done… 

No comments:

Post a Comment