Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sharing In Our Troubles


Scripture:
Philippians 4:14-20 (NIV)

Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid more than once when I was in need. Not that I desire your gifts; what I desire is that more be credited to your account. I have received full payment and have more than enough. I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Devotional:

Paul expressed his thanks and joy for the support that the Philippians shared in Paul’s troubles.  He rejoiced in that they gave in order to meet his needs.  The true account is where he wanted credit for all things to go.  Not himself, not in the church, but in Christ our Lord and Savior.    Through sharing everyone’s burden was a bit lighter.  Paul was given everything he needed.  His strength in God was what allowed him to endure all things.  We too can endure all things through the strength that God gives
Where does that strength come from?  Besides the obvious answer from God, where do we draw His strength from?  Philippians 4:14, “Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles.”  Some of the strength that Paul had came from the support of others.  The strength we gain comes from our friends and fellow Christians.  It is through sharing that we relieve the strains, stress, and needs of those around us.  Acts 4:32-35 (NIV):

All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had.  With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need.

Giving is not just our money.  Are we truly giving of ourselves to God?  Are we sharing in one another’s troubles?  It seems to me that I am constantly failing in this task.  It is important to show that we care.  It is important to give back to God.  One of the ways we do this is in sharing in each other’s troubles.  This may only be a listening ear, it could mean helping someone move, or fix something.  What has God given you that you can share?  Let us lift one another up in all things…  We are the BODY…

No comments:

Post a Comment