Monday, October 3, 2011

Wish List...



Let’s see what do I want…  Oh yea I want a nice house and a new car.  I want to go on a cruise with the family, Oh and a new camper yea that’s it…  I am sure there is more that I want so let me think and get back to you OK God…

Does this sound familiar?  What is your wish list?  We all have desires to fulfill and things we want.  We constantly petition God with a wish list.  How many times do we read John 16: 24 “…ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be made full.”  We think we can ask for anything at all and God will grant it.  John 14:13 “And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.”  Also John 15:7-8 “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.  This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.”  Each of these verses clearly tells us that what we ask for in the name of Jesus will be granted.  However there is more to this than a wish list.  What we ask for has to be for God’s glory; that He may be glorified in what we ask for and do. 

It is every parents wish to give their children everything that they want in life.  I know when I was growing up there were things I asked for but didn’t get them.  Sure at the time I was upset.  However looking back in reflection I thank God they didn’t give me every little thing I asked for.  Not everything we ask for is for our benefit.  Not everything we desire is good for us.  We cannot know the end results of our petitions.  We think we know what is best.  The truth is that God is the only one that knows what is best for us. 

When we see God failing in giving us what we ask for we need to review the reasons why we asked in the first place.  Did I ask for selfish reasons?  Did I ask for my own personal gain?  Is what I asked for out of God’s will and plan for us?  Did God not fulfill my desires because it could lead me into sin?  God will not grant a sinful request.  God will not grant us something that will hurt us in ways we cannot see. 

The next time we start on a wish list we need to ask ourselves why am I asking for this.  We do not need to justify what we ask for in order to get it.  I could justify a camper by saying it is for my family.  It will help us spend more time together in God’s creation.  By camping we can have quality family time with God.  By having a camper my wife and I can…  These are just justifications trying to get something that I want.  Is there truth in them, yes, can a camper be used for God’s glory, yes.  However, it doesn’t change the fact I am sending God a wish list.

Remember God isn’t a genie granting wishes.  God does desire the best for us.  However He will not grant selfish petitions.  He will give us anything we ask for as long as it is for His glory and within the scope of His will for our lives.  Let us not petition God with a wish list.  Instead let us ask for what will bring heaven on earth.  Let us seek His will and ask for what will help us make disciples of all nations…  God wants what is best for us and will bless us immensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment