Monday, October 17, 2011

Remembering God...



Whenever my wife gives me a short list of things to get at the store I count off the number of items on the list.  If there are four items to buy I will hold out four fingers to remember four items.  As I get each item I tuck my finger in.  If I forget something I simply do my count down.  In a few moments I remember what was forgotten.

God had Joshua build a memorial to remember His awesome power and deliverance.  Through the Bible there are examples of things we need to do in order to remember God.  One example we have is that we are told to post His word on our doors and posts.  Deuteronomy 11:20-21, “Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates, so that your days and the days of your children may be many in the land the LORD swore to give your ancestors, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth.”  When we forget we need God is when we find ourselves in trouble.  That is why God instructs us to remember His words.  That is why we are given ways to help to remember Him.  Our method of remembrance is not what is important.  What is crucial is that we remember who God is and our need for Him.
 
Nancy has little notes of Scripture placed all over our house as little reminders.  Our seven year old daughter has her memory verse for church posted on her bedroom door.  Each time she and her sister enter the room they pause long enough to read the scripture verse.  I had to stop myself from fussing at them for taking too long to get to bed one night.  It was getting late and they were told to hurry to bed.  They both stopped at the door and began to read.  It was then that I realized this simple reminder was worth the wait.  They were learning God’s Word.  They were committing it to memory. 

Find your method for remembering God and put it to practice…

No comments:

Post a Comment