Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wisdom

Scripture:
Job 127-13
Ephesians 5:15-17



Most of us have heard sayings about wisdom.  For example Wise as an owl. A quote from Ben Franklin that I like is "Write injuries in dust, benefits in marble."  Another quote is "Words have no wings but they can fly a thousand miles." Author unknown (Korean on gossip).  Sheri Glewen states "Words spoken are like eggs broken."  These sayings and others can be found on www.wiseoldsayings.com

Every generation seeks wisdom.  Nobody wants to be counted the fool.  God places value in Wisdom.  The NIV version of the Bible uses wisdom 215 times and the KJV version 222 times.  One reference to wisdom is Proverbs 4:6-7  "Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you. Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding." Another reference is Job 28:28 ""And to man He said, 'Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom;And to depart from evil is understanding.'"

Five books of wisdom considered in the Bible are Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Song of Solomon.  When we want to find words of wisdom those are the books we turn to.  People do not look for books on how to be foolish, it seems to me that comes all too easy.  I am sure we could all write a few books on how to be foolish.  However, let us focus on being wise.  Let us help one another become wiser.  Words of wisdom will build foolish council will destroy.

(Side note:  This particular devotional thought was difficult for me to write.  I feel I have gotten it all messed up.  I prayed and prayed over what to write.  However, I do not consider myself a wise person and I do not feel qualified to write on this subject.  I ask for forgiveness for my poor collection of thoughts in today's devotional thoughts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment