Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Christ In Us...

Scripture
Philippians 4:6-7
Ephesians 6:1-4



Ephesians 6:4 "Fathers,do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord."  As I ponder raising my children I am reminded of all the mistakes I have made.  Too often I have let my temper flare when I shouldn't.  I chastised when it wasn't called for.  To be honest I am amazed at how well my kids are doing.  OK I give all credit to first God then Nancy.  What is important that our children see is our walk with Christ.  They see it when we make mistakes and seek repentance.  In those times when I do mess up I will first seek forgiveness from God then I will seek it from my children.  I can count on more fingers than I care to how many times I have had to do so. 

Another area that our children see Christ in us is when we petition God.  Our children need to see it when we take our worries and burdens to Christ and leave them upon His feet.  When they see that we trust God with everything they too will learn to put their trust in Him.  They will grow up seeing God's provisions. Philippians 4:6 "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God."
 

Our children are like sponges soaking in everything.  What they see you do and see in you they will pick up on.  They will mimic you.
There is a song by Philips Craig and Dean I want to be Just Like You.  When our oldest was born and first heard that song I knew the truth in their words.  I knew she would grow up to be like us in many ways.  I wanted her, or any of my kids, to see and grow in Christ.  In order for that to happen I had to be Christ Like.  I know I have failed many times and will continue to fail.  What is important is that they see not only my failures but repentance, grace and mercy when I give it all to Christ...

No comments:

Post a Comment