Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Glass Is Half Full {You just don't know it...}


Scripture:
1 Thessalonians 5:16-24
(NASB)

Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not quench the Spirit; do not despise prophetic utterances. But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; abstain from every form of evil.

Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

Devotional:

Rejoice always and pray without ceasing.  Wow how hard is that.  After all, my job is the pits, school stinks, and family life has a lot to be desired.  I am just too busy being miserable to rejoice.  This prayer thing, why do I have to constantly pray?  Doesn’t God know my very thoughts?  Doesn’t He know all things?  So why is it that I have to pray all the time?

Does any of the above sound familiar?  In these last few months God has really laid it upon my heart to rejoice in all things.  Recently I realized how poorly I have been doing.  As I search for a new job I get discouraged.  It seems that no matter what I cannot move on.  So several months ago I decided it was time that I just need to be content with where I am.  I needed to find the joy right where I am.  Then God did it to me.  He showed me how I wasn’t being content or rejoicing.  I didn’t want to comply; after all I was doing a good job at being miserable at work.  Then I remembered why I have my current job.  God placed me here for a reason.  I can guess at some of the reasons I am here.  I may not want to stay where I am at.  However, I do need to change my attitude.  It is important for me to find the joy in where I am and to rejoice in all things.  

Why rejoice in all things?  For several reasons, one reason is I have a job and we are paying the bills.  Another reason is that by rejoicing in all things others see how I handle all circumstances.  If I am joyful regardless they have a better view of Christ.  If I am grumbling and complaining what does that say about my faith and about Christ?  Also by rejoicing and being joyful I can spread good cheer.  Have you ever noticed how contagious a smile is?

I will be the first to admit that it is not always easy to be joyful, or rejoice in bad situations.  There are several times when I fail.  I just have to tell myself that tomorrow is a new day.  I can get it right tomorrow.  I will say that by constantly being in prayer helps.  By talking with God throughout the day I am keeping my focus on Him.  When I am focused on Him things just don’t seem so bad.  It becomes easier to find the joy.  Then it becomes easier to rejoice.  Then those around you can look at you and think you are a nut.

Besides, being grumpy or in a foul mood is not very much fun.  You tend to be depressed and gloomy.  No one wants to be around you, trust me on this one.  It is far better to find the good in things, to rejoice in all things, and be grateful and joyful.  You will feel better and your perspective will be better.  You will start seeing a glass that is half full…

No comments:

Post a Comment