Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Am I Truly Willing To Give It All Up


Scripture:
Genesis 22:1-3
(NASB)

Now it came about after these things, that God tested Abraham, and said to him, “Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.” He said, “Take now your son, your only son, whom you love, Isaac, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I will tell you.” So Abraham rose early in the morning and saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him and Isaac his son; and he split wood for the burnt offering, and arose and went to the place of which God had told him.

Devotional:

Are you willing to give up your most valued and cherished possession you have?  If you are like me and have to pause a minute then it is time to do an inventory check.  Sure I say I would give up anything if God asked me to.  Look at Abraham.  He was in the act of sacrificing his only son and heir.  Isaac was his promise from God.  I wonder if Abraham hesitated or questioned God, or just got up and did as he was asked.  I say I would give anything and everything up.  I want to believe I would.  However, I must be honest with myself.  It would be difficult to give up my family.  It would be hard to lose our home.  I tell God I let your will be done.  I will do anything you want me to.  I will go anywhere you tell me to.  Then in the next breath I ask not to lose the house, please don’t take my family.

Am I really giving it all up?  Am I really willing to?  First of all I have to remind myself that none of it is really mine to begin with.  God blessed me with my family.  If He thinks it best to take them back I must be willing to accept it.  My house is really His house and I am just allowed to use it.  My cars are His cars.  All I own are provided to me by Him.  Secondly, if and when my family goes to their heavenly home, I will be there too.  So I am really not losing them.  True it would be hard, and I pray it never happens.  But at least I know where they are at, and they would be waiting for me to join them.  Also a house is only a temporary building, a place to stay.  Someday it too will fade away.

Am I truly willing to give it all up, as Abraham was?  My answer comes two fold.  On one hand I want to say whole heartily, yes.  On the other hand, I hope it never comes to that.  But in the end I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God has what is best for me, and my family, in store for us.  He will guide, protect, and provide.  All I have to do is trust in Him…

No comments:

Post a Comment