Thursday, September 27, 2012

Are You An Acts 1:8 Christian?



Scripture:
Acts 1:8
(NASB)

but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.”
Devotional:

In our church the mission team’s theme is Acts 1:8.  It is a theme throughout the church.  I remember attending a class held for newcomers at church.  The sr. pastor made a comment on programs the church does and does not do.  What he said has stuck with me ever since and has become a building block for what I want to do and be like.  He commented on any program that the church does has to fit into one criterion.  Does it build discipleship?  Basically any program the church does, needs to in some way build up or make disciples for Christ.  If you have an idea for a program great, but if it doesn’t build discipleship the church will not implement it.  

It is important to build up disciples for Christ.  Once we are built up it is just as important to go forth into the world.  We are to make disciples of all nations not just at home.  What is important to remember is that when we go forth we wait for the Holy Spirit.  For it is when the Holy Spirit comes upon us and fills us we will have power.  God promises to give us the power and strength to do His will.  If you are asking what is God’s will for my life I suggest you read Matthew 26:16-20 (NIV):

Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

It is the mission of all Christians to make disciples.  We are not to just work at home, in the house and neighborhood.  We are told to go to the ends of the earth.  We are to reach out to all the lost.  That is first and foremost duty in God’s will for our lives.  Everything else will stem from that.  I ask, what is God’s will for my life?  My next question, does what I think it is include making disciples?  What is your answer?  I will end with this one question, one that our mission’s pastor always asks, or some variation.  Are you an Acts 1:8 person?  Are you an Acts 1:8 Christian?  What does an Acts 1:8 Christian look like?  The best example I can think of is Paul.  I can see my oldest daughter shaping into a wonderful Acts 1:8 Christian, maybe I can be like her when I grow up…

No comments:

Post a Comment