Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Crippled By Fear


Scripture:
Psalm 49:5
(NASB)

Why should I fear in days of adversity,
When the iniquity of my foes surrounds me,

Isaiah 41:10 (NASB)

‘Do not fear, for I am with you;
Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you, surely I will help you,
Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’

Devotional:

When you are faced with a life changing event it can be hard not to be afraid.  We tend to fear the unknown.  Sometimes when I start thinking about spending eternity in heaven, something that never ends, I can feel fear seep in.  There is no basis or grounds for it.  I also know heaven is a great and wonderful place.  There are events such as job loss, or loss of a loved one, death in a family that can bring about fear.  We have enemies who try to destroy us.  Satan will throw anything and everything at us to cause us to stumble.  One of the greatest stumbling blocks is fear.  

Fear can cripple us and prevent us from being effective for God.  However, who do we have to fear?  Isn’t God who is in us greater than all things?  If nothing can overcome God and God is with and in us then nothing can overcome us.  Some people might say that death pretty much concurs all.  Well that is true.  Someone can kill us or we can die from any number of reasons.  But death isn’t defeat for those who are saved.  Through death comes life.  A better life in a better place, so there should be no fear.  God is our provider and protector.  God is with us through it all.  So I ask, what do you really have to fear?  As I struggle with my own uncertainties and fears in days ahead I will keep my focus on Christ and overcome.  It is my prayer and hope that Christ is glorified in what I say and do in the days ahead.  When fear starts to build up in you, change your focus.  By keeping your focus on Christ your fears are relieved…

No comments:

Post a Comment