Friday, July 8, 2011

Vows, Easy Come and Easy Go...


We all make vows of some sort in our lives.  I wear a small metal band around my finger to remind me and show everyone I made a vow.  I was recently talking with one of our pastors about families.  During which I mentioned that before I married Nancy I told her that divorce is not an option it doesn’t exist.  I stated that now is the time to back out if she wanted.  I somehow managed to persuade her to marry me anyway.  We have had over seventeen years of marriage.  Some of which were the most wonderful years of my life.  Some of which have been a hard struggle to get through.  Our vows said “for better or for worse” we have had both.  Sure there were times when it would have been easier to quit and go our separate ways.  In Mark 10:6-9 it says:

“But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’  For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.’  So they are no longer two, but one flesh.  Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”  

Through thick and thin Nancy and I have managed to have a wonderful marriage.  It isn’t because of what I have done or not done.  Our marriage is a wonderful marriage because we strive to keep God in the center.  Our wedding vows are more than words and go deeper than a promise.  We made a covenant not only with each other but with God.  Our covenant that we made is a holy and sacred between Nancy, myself, and God.  Marriage was designed in this fashion right from the beginning starting with Adam and Eve.  

Something that has taken years to sink into my thick skull is true intimacy.  Genesis 2:25 (NIV) “Adam and his wife were both naked and they felt no shame.”  For years I took this verse at what it says on the surface.  It wasn’t until recently that I realized and learned it went deeper.  True intimacy is when you are completely open in all things with someone.  All feelings, thoughts, dreams, good and bad are openly shared.  True intimacy goes beyond the flesh to include the spiritual aspects of your relationship.  Can we truly be naked and unashamed with our spouses?  Can we show our inner most thoughts and feelings?  Recently I started to wonder how intimate am I with my wife?  How can I make it better?  God is the beginning of all things…

No comments:

Post a Comment