Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Time to Wait, Time to Go...



One of the areas in my life that I seem to struggle with time after time is waiting on God’s time.  Several years ago I had thought God was calling me to be a pastor.  I had it all planned out.  I would finish my degree and then it was off to seminary.  When that didn’t work out I thought maybe I just need to be a Methodist Local Pastor, part time.  So I started the process for that.  When that fell through I started to think I was wrong in God’s call.  Nancy and I went on the Walk to Emmaus and I caught a fresh glimpse in the right direction.  I thought great I am ready lets go.  It was time to get started, so I thought.  God however, had a different plan.

David was faced with the decision to wait for God or do it himself.  Several times David had the chance to kill Saul but David waited on the Lord.  How much better things turned out when David waited upon the Lord.  I can say the same for my life.  Had I done the work that God showed me in my time I would have failed.  It would have ended in a disaster.  Nancy and I were not ready at that time.  God is still working in our lives preparing us for His work.  As we prepare we are still working God’s plan.  We are still doing His will.  We cannot just sit back and wait.  We must continue to work towards the goal.  David was anointed King when he was a young teenager.  It wasn’t until he was thirty before he became king.  God spent all those years preparing him to be king.  David didn’t just sit on the farm tending sheep until the appointed time.

What can we do to prepare ourselves?  Some things that come to mind are reading the Bible, attending worship services and Bible studies, Fellowship with fellow believers.  Most importantly we must pray, be in constant communion with God.  1 Timothy 2:8 (NIV) “Therefore I want the men everywhere to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or disputing.  Let us all lift up our hands.  Let us each encourage one another.  Let us dress appropriately, not just our physical clothes but our spiritual life as well.  God’s will for each of us is simple we all are told to “Go and make disciples of all nations…”  If you are unsure what God’s will is for your life start with Matthew 28:18-20

No comments:

Post a Comment