Thursday, June 9, 2011

Refocusing


Scripture:

Fear and sorrow can grip us and paralyze us. I remember when I was sixteen being on vacation with my parents. We had driven motorcycles from Chicago into Indiana up through Michigan. We ended up driving the night through all the way to Sault Ste Marie Canada. From there we went around Lake Superior back into the United States. I remember leaving bright and early in the morning heading toward Wisconsin. We had just left town when I crashed the motorcycle. The only thing I could think of, and feared, was my dad yelling at me for crashing. I was so worried about him being mad and yelling at me I didn't feel anything else. It wasn't until I realized he was concerned and not angry that I started to feel the aches and pains from the crash. I feared the worse for nothing. In Psalm 13 David expresses his fears to God. He pleads for Him to intervene. By the end of the Psalm David's focus shifts back to God and his worries slip away.

Since we are new creations in Christ we need to remember to keep our focus on Him. We have been raised anew. Christ is in us and we in Him. 1 John 4:13 “This is how we know that we live in him and he in us: He has given us of his Spirit.” Christ has overcome death and is ruler over all. He is bigger than anything else. 1 John 4:4 (NIV) “You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.” So when we feel the world crashing down on us we need to refocus on the bigger picture. Too often I lose focus and it takes a good friend to put me back on track. Let us encourage one another and help each other refocus on Christ...

No comments:

Post a Comment