Wednesday, June 15, 2011

God's Word


Scripture:
Isaiah 55:6-13

The other day I started to listen to 1 Chronicles while I worked.  As it played it sounded to me as if it was droning on and on.  I realized I completely stopped listening to what was being said.  I tuned out the voice reading the verses.  I stopped what I was doing to listen to several verses again.  I realized what I had blocked out was the genealogy of various people in the Bible.  I found it boring and tedious to listen to or to read. 

I asked myself why am I listening to this go on and on.  Who really cares about the genealogy from thousands of years ago?  It didn’t occur to me until I read Isaiah 55:6-13 and the devotion from Our Daily Bread that it sunk in.  Even though we are not bound by the laws of the Old Testament we desperately need it.  The Old Testament is the foundation and history of the New Testament.  Without it we couldn’t have the new covenant with Christ.  By reading and knowing the Old Testament we can understand what the disciples were going through.  What the Jewish people expected when Christ came.  We can see God’s plan unfold through the history of the Bible.  As the Old Testament helps us understand the New Testament we can better understand ourselves today.  God’s word will bring us peace and it will give us life…

No comments:

Post a Comment