Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Is Your Debt Paid In Full?


Scripture:

An eye for an eye for wrong doing. That is what God told His people in the old testament. It was not for us to extract vengeance but to have proper justice done. Deuteronomy 19:20 “The rest of the people will hear of t his and be afraid, and never again will such an evil thing be done among you.” God is setting the stage for obedience. If we wrong someone then we receive the punishment in accordance to what we have done. If we are falsely accused then the false witness receives the punishment.

God set this up not as a means to extract revenge or get even with someone. It was meant to serve proper justice. More importantly it was set up to discourage wrong doings from the start. I remember several times having a conversation with my wife about spanking our children. Today you are considered cruel and it is unjust to spank a child. I disagree, God set strict punishment for sinful behavior to curb wrong doings. Spanking acts as a deterrent for misbehaving. I shared with Nancy that many times I didn't do something for fear of being caught. If I got caught I knew I would receive a spanking from my dad. I knew I did not want that. So I behaved.

More importantly though Jesus tells us that if someone strikes us in the cheek turn the other cheek as well. I think that instead of seeking retribution, under the law of the old testament, we need to show grace and mercy. Just as Jesus showed us mercy we are suppose to show mercy to others. Matthew 5:7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.” James 2:13 “because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.” Ultimately justice is God's to hand out. Psalm75:7 “It is God who judges: He brings one down, he exalts another.” Romans 2:16 “This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.” We are told that vengeance is God's to hand out. He will be our judge.

We stand condemned before the throne of God. The question are you going to stand there alone or do you have a mediator to stand in for you? Every knee shall bow and every tongue confess Jesus is Lord. When we stand in front of God the judge will you stand alone confessing? Will Jesus stand there with you and proclaim that justice has been served. Will Christ defend you and proclaim to God that the price of your sins is paid in full? Have no doubt in the end each of us will stand and bow before God and be found guilty. The wages of sin is death, Romans 6:23 “ For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Will you pay the price for sin or will Jesus proclaim that the price is paid in full?

No comments:

Post a Comment