Thursday, December 9, 2010

Who Needs The Instructions

Scripture:
Joshua 1:1-9
1 John 5:1-13

OK, why is it that most men do not read the instructions?  I will sit down to assemble a new toy or something we purchased without reading the instructions.  It almost always gets messed up in the process and I get frustrated.

After Nancy and I got married we purchased a gas grill.  We sat down together to assemble it.  She read the instructions pointing out what I needed to do. I did most of the physical labor.  We managed to fairly quickly and accurately assemble the grill.

Our lives and spiritual growth require instructions.  We get those instructions through the Bible.  Joshua is told by God to continuously meditate on God's law.  The reason for this was for him to be able to do everything written in it.  We also need to read the scriptures continuously in order to know God's word and be able to decipher His will.  By diving deep in God's word we will keep him close to our hearts.  I started reading a book by Gary Smalley, Change your Heart Change Your Live,  and in it he talks about what we keep in our hearts.  What is in the heart is what we think, believe, and act on.  By continuously reading God's word it will form in our hearts.  Once in our hearts we will live it out.

We are not supposed to do this all alone though.  Just as Nancy and I worked to assemble the grill we are to help one another spiritually.  She is my helper and I hers.  Another source of help and encouragement is our small group at InDepth in church.  I also have a small circle of friends who give encouragement, advice, and prayers from time to time.  They allow me to dump on them and they offer unconditional love and friendship.  God didn't mean for us to be alone.  Not only is He with us always He also gave us each other...

No comments:

Post a Comment