Tuesday, October 19, 2010

To Ask And Not Receive...


Scripture:

Motivation is what drives what we do.  Why are we motivated?  What is it that drives us to anything.  We turn to God in our times of need and trouble asking prayers of all kinds.  We then wonder why those prayers seem to go unanswered.  We have to ask ourselves why am I praying for this.  Do we seek to glorify Christ or to further our gains.  Do we seek to Honor Jesus or ourselves.  Do we ask for our benefit and gain or for God's.  Before we petition God we need to answer these questions.  Is what I am praying for to glorify God or myself.  Is what I am praying for to honor myself or God.  Is this prayer to benefit others and God or is it for my personal gain.  James tells us that we do not receive because we ask for all the wrong reasons.  James 4:3 "You ask and (A)do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures."

Recently I have been praying for financial freedom.  I ask myself why do I want financial freedom?  The answer and an additional part of my prayer is for God.  I want to financially free myself in order to be able to honor God and to free my resources for His benefit and Glory.  Through my financial freedom I feel that I can better serve Christ.  No God doesn't have to have my money, time, or possession in order to fulfill His work and will.  However, in order for me to better serve Him I have realized a few things and seek to correct past mistakes.  It is my desire to be enabled to do the work God has set before me.  It must be made clear that God can and does use me where I am now.  I don't have to be freed of my financial burdens in order to serve.  God will answer my prayers as He sees best.  It is also in my prayer that He helps me accept the answers He gives.  That I will be joyful in all things.  That I will suffer for Christ.  That wherever he sees to put me I will gladly serve Him.  That I will serve in all circumstances.  

When I focus on Christ and my prayers on centered around Him He lifts me up.  It is then that I see the answers as they should be and not as I want them to be. We need to ask for the right reasons.  We need to ensure our motivations are not self seeking and self serving.  What are your motivations for praying...

No comments:

Post a Comment