Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Are You Attached...


Scripture:

We all like to be independent.  We do not like to rely on anyone.  I can do it myself is a common theme you will here all over.  Cora, who is now 2, loves to do it herself.  For dinner last night Nancy made stew.  Cora had a little bowl and spoon set and ready for her.  I sat down with her to help her and make sure she didn't fall.  I grabbed her spoon full of stew for her to take a bite.  She promptly said "no."  I had to put the spoon full of food back down in her bowl.  She then picked it up and ate the stew.  She then dipped her spoon by herself back into her bowl for another bite.  As long as I didn't touch her spoon she was happy.

People tend to not stop for directions.  I know I have driven around in circles looking for a place.  Why, so I don't have to stop for help.  Working on projects around the house we tend to think oh I can do that.  Next thing you know the patch in the wall is now a huge hole.  It would have been easier and in the long run cheaper to have help...  I have had clients who attempted to fix their computers themselves.  Finally after failed attempts they will call me to come in and fix their computer.  By the time I am done I have spent twice the amount of time on it.  

Jesus tells us that we need Him in order to bear fruit.   John 15:4 "4Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me."  John 14:26 "26"But the (A)Helper, the Holy Spirit, (B)whom the Father will send in My name, (C)He will teach you all things, and (D)bring to your remembrance all that I said to you."  We are given a helper, the Holy Spirit.  Why would we be given a helper if we are capable on our own?  The answer is we cannot go at it alone.  Jesus tells us we will wither and die if we do not remain in Him.  We cannot bear fruit if we are not attached to the branch.  

It can be extremely hard to recognize the fact that we are not independent after all.  When we are young we rely on our parents for care and our needs.  We mature into adults and think we are independent.  The irony of it is when we grow old we return into the care of others.  Somewhere in the middle we lose touch with the fact we cannot go at it alone.  That is why God gave us fellowship.  We are to assist one another.  Christ being in us will allow others to see Him through us.  Christ being in us means we are attached to the branch...

No comments:

Post a Comment