Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Life-Giving Reproof...


Scripture:
Proverbs 15:31-33
(NASB)

He whose ear listens to the life-giving reproof
Will dwell among the wise.

He who neglects discipline despises himself,
But he who listens to reproof acquires understanding.
The fear of the Lord is the instruction for wisdom,
And before honor comes humility.

Devotional:
All of us at one time or other make mistakes or just get it wrong.  The thing of it is that we don’t like to admit it.  We like to believe we always get it right and never make mistakes.  We tend to steer clear of any correction, reprimanding, or disciplining that would come our way.  If we never made any mistakes we would then be perfect.  There is only one man that is perfect, and that last time I checked it wasn’t me.

All through the Bible we are told that the wise accepts discipline and listens to correction.  I look back to when I was a child and see my parent’s disciplining was for my benefit.  Of course at the time I didn’t think so.  I just couldn’t understand why I couldn’t or why I got into trouble for it.  Looking back I can see how it helped shape me into who I am today.  When we listen to God and accept His correction it will help us grow spiritually.  By accepting “reproof” from God we will learn and grow in the right direction.  We will become better Christians living better lives.  We all make mistakes.  We will get it wrong from time to time.  It is when the correction comes that we are made aware of it.  Then we can make amends and benefit from it.  It isn’t fun going through it, in the end though we will be better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment