Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Just Twelve


Scripture:
Matthew 10:1
(NIV)

Jesus called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out impure spirits and to heal every disease and sickness.

Devotional:

Small groups can be found everywhere.  Some have grown into larger groups.  Some larger groups have been split into various smaller groups.  Families are one type of small group.  A classroom full of students is another small group.  Those that you meet with for breakfast constitute yet another small group.  In the office, or at work, you make up a small group within another group.  The question is why small groups?  What is so special about them?  Jesus chose twelve men to be the foundation of the church.  He lived with these men, teaching them along the way.  Jesus also sent them out into the world to gather the “lost sheep.”
A pastor recently stated how much he believed in small groups.  The group I was in sat and listened as he gave us several reasons we need them and why they are so effective.  Let’s face it relationship just are not very good if you are in a large crowd setting.  Sitting in church listening to a Pastor in a crowd of several hundred people just doesn’t build a good relationship.  Don’t get me wrong.  I learn a little more about my pastor every Sunday.  I learn more about God and am able to grow spiritually.  But as I sit there and listen to him preach how well can he get to know me?  He is up there talking.  I am sitting toward the back listening not speaking very much.  When I do speak it is in a hushed whisper that only my wife can hear.

In a small group you can build relationships.  You offer support for one another.  You can encourage each other and help each other grow spiritually.  In turn you can go out and ministry to others.  In a small group you care for one another, you can build each other into disciples.  In the small group you can really get to know one another, relationships grow.  

At our church if you just show up on Sunday morning you can easily get lost in the crowd.  With very little effort you can become just a number in the crowd.  However, by getting involved with a small group you get the care, love, support that you need.  You are also there to care for, love, and support others.  It can get pretty lonely in a crowd.  If you haven’t already I encourage you to get plugged into a small group.  

When you do keep this one thought in mind.  It takes time for the bonds and relationships to form.  I once read in a study where it is stated it takes 6-9 months or more to become part of a new group.  You cannot just jump in and expect to be best friends after the first meeting.  Relationships take time.  I know when I am in new group at first I don’t say a lot.  I feel as if I am on the side lines watching.  As time goes by I get more involved in the group.  Eventually I feel as if I am truly a part of the group.  Each person is different and handles things differently.  What works for me isn’t necessarily what works for you.  But Christ saw the need for small groups.  He initiated His ministry with just twelve men.

No comments:

Post a Comment