Thursday, May 24, 2012

Are You A Rust Bucket?


Scripture:
Psalm 32:1-5
(NIV)


Blessed is the one
    whose transgressions are forgiven,
    whose sins are covered.
Blessed is the one
    whose sin the Lord does not count against them
    and in whose spirit is no deceit.
When I kept silent,
    my bones wasted away
    through my groaning all day long.
For day and night
    your hand was heavy on me;
my strength was sapped
    as in the heat of summer.
Then I acknowledged my sin to you
    and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, “I will confess
    my transgressions to the Lord.”
And you forgave
    the guilt of my sin.


Devotional

Growing up in Chicago I saw many cars that were rusting out due to the salt.  In winter the salt is used to melt the snow and ice on the streets.  The salt promoted rusting.  Sometimes you didn’t see the rust just by looking at the outside.  It wasn’t until a close inspection that you could see the rust eating through the metal under the paint.

Failing to confess our sins will lead to similar results in us.  In Psalm 32 David shares how attempting to hide the sins wore him down.  When we try to hide or cover up our sin it will eat at us just as the rust eats away the metal of a car.  There have been many cars that have had the rusted areas sanded off.  Bondo can be used to fill in the low spots, or sometimes a new sheet of metal is used.  Finally sanding, priming, painting, followed up with a clear coat to finish the job.  When finished the car is once again solid.  When we confess our sins we are forgiven, shown grace, and mercy.  The sin is removed from our lives, remembered no more.  We are made clean and pure; we are made righteous through Christ.  Sin left unchecked will wear us down separating us from God.  Psalm 32:5 (NIV) “Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity.  I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord.”  And you forgave the guilt of my sin.”

No comments:

Post a Comment