Thursday, May 31, 2012

False Huymility...


Scripture:
Proverbs 27:21
(NASB)

The crucible is for silver and the furnace for gold,
And each is tested by the praise accorded him.

Devotional:

Most of the time, I have difficulty accepting compliments or praise from others.  I have had the honor of being able to give a sermon or devotion from time to time over the years.  When the services would be over sometimes someone would come up to tell me how much they liked it or that it really spoke to them.  After the first or second time I would try to give the credit to God.  After all I wouldn’t have been able to complete the task without his help.  These devotional thoughts that I write I need God’s words to share with others. 

After reading a devotional from Charles Stanley I realized that could also have a negative effect.  If it becomes a show of words meaning to impress upon people how humble I am.  After all it was God not me.  A false humility is just as bad as being prideful.  Are you humble to impress others, or are you humble because you sincerely give praise and credit to God?  Jesus warns us not to be like the Pharisees of the times.  Luke 12:1(NIV) states, “Meanwhile, when a crowd of many thousands had gathered, so that they were trampling on one another, Jesus began to speak first to his disciples, saying: “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.” Matthew 23:2-3 (NIV) states, “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat.  So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.” Finally Matthew 6:2-4 (NIV):

“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.  But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.”    

If we are not careful we can be just as bad in our humility as those who are prideful.  Let all our hearts focus on God.  He is worthy of all praise.  He deserves all the credit.  So the next time someone offers me praise as I give thanks I want to genially give credit back to God.  It is my prayer that the words I write are given to me by him.  Some devotionals are good, some not so good.  Through them all I want to be inspired by God.  After all it is through Christ that I can do all things.  The Holy Spirit is my enabler.  I pray that I always give genuine credit, praise to God for what I am able to do.  I never want to be boastful, prideful, or have a false humility.  What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment