Friday, November 5, 2010

What's Your Attitude?

Scripture:

Everyone has someone who has authority over them.  Some people with authority over you are good leaders.  They are thoughtful and will listen to those under them.  They are concerned about those they lead.  Other leaders just want the power.  They like to lord it over those under their authority. 

Over the past several months I have struggled with my attitude at work.  It has been my prayer for God's help in changing my attitude.  I have some who are suppose to be under me that is trying to assert themselves over me.  I have gotten a bitter attitude and had begun to resent going to work.  

God has placed all authority on earth.  Romans 13:1:(NIV)
Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.
I need to keep in mind that no one has authority over me that God hasn't put there.  What makes or breaks a job, home, school is not the person in authority.  It is my attitude toward that person.  Our attitude will reflect for others to see.  We are the salt of the earth.  Just as a light on a hill is seen for miles around Other people will see Jesus through us. Matthew 5:13-14 (NIV):
13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
   14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

Despite my prayers for God to help me with my attitude I hadn't been changing.  what I say impacts others in the office.  I need to change what I say and how I say it.  I need to reflect Jesus in my heart so others will see Him.  The Christ some people will see is Christ in us.  If we are not living with the proper attitude we are not going to show an accurate picture of who Jesus is.

For a time I may not like where I work or who I work for.  This however doesn't give me the right to be disrespectful or thwart their authority.  Even though some under me will continue to try and be over me I must stick to the teachings of Jesus.  I must change my attitude.  I must start showing the world around me who Jesus really is and not what I might feel or think.

No comments:

Post a Comment