Friday, November 19, 2010

Are We Foreigners?

Scripture:
1 Peter 2:9-17
John 5:19-20


I remember when I was little we moved from Kentucky to a suburb of Chicago, Elmhurst.  I remember that first year of school.  Ever since that first day of school I was doomed.  I had a strong southern accent and anyone who talked with me know I wasn't from around there.  I felt alone and out of place.  I remember when we got new neighbors across the street.  I was over joyed to have a friend who was also new to the area.  Now after so many years Elmhurst still has the feel of home.  I can picture the streets and visualize how to get from place to place.  I rarely got lost in the Western suburbs of Chicago. 

Becoming a new Christian can bring similar feelings and emotions.  After accepting Christ as our savior we can feel left out and lost.  We can feel like the stranger in a new land.  Some quickly become discouraged and slip back to their old ways.  Others can jump right in making friends with anyone anywhere.  Regardless of how we feel God Calls us His own.  We are set apart from the world. 1 Peter 2:10 "Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy."  If God can show us mercy, love and bring us out of the darkness shouldn't we extend this to others.  Should we not be the hands of God?  Should we not show others mercy and love?  Are we not the Light House of Christ shining His love, mercy, peace, and grace to all those around us.  As a lighthouse shines its life saving light for ships in the darkness we shine the light of Christ for all those in darkness.

We are a people.  We are a nation.  We are God's chosen.  Let us be what the United States stands for.  Let us accept all who come.  Let us welcome the weary.  Let us great the repressed.  Let us tend to the sick.  Let us go forth the extended hands and feet of Christ our Lord and Savior...

No comments:

Post a Comment