Friday, August 31, 2012

Who Can Be Forgiven, Who Can Have Salvation?


Scripture:
Galatians 1:11-17
(NIV)

I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin. I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.

For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it. I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers. But when God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, my immediate response was not to consult any human being. I did not go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went into Arabia. Later I returned to Damascus.

Devotional:

Just recently I had a conversation with a friend speaking about salvation.  We were talking about certain people accepting Christ literally at the last second of their lives.  Not just regular people but those like Hitler, Saddam Hussein, Osama bin Laden.  What if these truly evil men who committed horrible atrocities at the last minute of their lives truly repented of their sins?  Paul was walking down a similar path.  He persecuted Christians and did everything in His power to wipe out Christianity from the face of the earth.  What if His life hadn’t changed on that fateful walk to Damascus?  How different things would have been.  

The truth of the matter is that each and every person has the means to going to Heaven.  The way is simple and once accepted forgiveness is given.  It doesn’t matter who you are or what you have done.  The thought of someone who does horrible evil acts all their lives going to heaven is very disturbing to us.  We can only see the injustice in it.  

I have a couple of thoughts on this though.  One, look at all they missed out on.  Look at all the blessings they lived without.  Look at the torn lives they lived.  Next, even though they would go to heaven they still have to bow before the throne of God.      The last thought I have is God does love them just as much as He loves you, and me.  He is overjoyed that they finally came around, we should be too.  God doesn’t want any of His children to remain lost.  That does include people like Hitler, Saddam, Osama, and others like them.  It includes people like Dahmer and Bundy.  God does want them to come to know and accept Christ in their hearts just as much as He wants us.

After Damascus Paul must have had a hard time.  He had a bad stigma to overcome.  Because he did many lives have been changed over the course of time.  Salvation is not for the righteous only.  Salvation isn’t for just a few select.  It is open to everyone.  We might not like it but aren’t you glad Salvation is freely given to all?  Otherwise you just might not qualify.  After all, none of us deserve salvation.  God makes the offer to any and everyone.  

You never know who God will choose to use.  You never know whose life will be irrecoverably changed.  Then they just might change the world too.  It doesn’t matter if we doubt.  God knows the truth, and remember the truth will set you free…

(I hope what I have written is truly the right words to say today.  I almost didn't write and share my thoughts today.  I pray that God's words have flowed through me into this posting...)

No comments:

Post a Comment