Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Can We Finish The Race?


Scripture:
Acts 20:22-24
(NIV)

“And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me —the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.

Devotional:

Paul certainly knew hardships.  He was shipwrecked, beaten, imprisoned, and eventually put to death.  Despite all this he clung to Christ.  His faith was strong enough to endure.  He didn’t consider what happened to him here to be of much value.  What mattered was completing the work Christ had given him.  He found value and worth through Christ and what was to come.  A soul’s eternal destination was, and is, worth the price to be paid here and now.

How many of us, myself included, are willing to go the distance?  Paul did, without hesitation.  How many others through the years gave everything in order to serve Christ?  Here I sit at a computer whining to myself about this or that.  I sit here and think how tuff so and so has it.  We go to church once, maybe twice a week.  We assist here and there.  We give our tithe, and other gifts.  Then we go on with our lives.  We think we gave enough.  

There are times when I wonder what God wants me to do.  I think about how to better serve Christ.  After all I want to do that which He has called me to do. Or do I?  Am I really willing to give it all up?  Am I willing to let go of my family, house, and job?  Will I sacrifice everything in order to further the Kingdom?  Paul did, others in the Bible did, and people throughout the years have as well.  What about me?  What about you?  What is it we are supposed to do?  How much are we to give?  How far do we go?  I say I will do anything Jesus asks me to do.  I should be willing to give it all up to serve Him.  My heart is willing.  But I find myself at war with myself.  On one hand I am willing.  On the other hand I can’t bear the thought of losing my family.  Why would God give them to me just to take them away?  I bet Abraham asked the same question when he was told to sacrifice his own son.  Abraham’s faith was strong enough that he was able to follow through with God’s command.  Is my faith strong enough to endure all?  Is your faith?  I pray we do not have to find out, but are we willing?

No comments:

Post a Comment