Thursday, July 12, 2012

Through It All


Scripture:
2 Corinthians 11:23-30
(NASB)

Are they servants of Christ?—I speak as if insane—I more so; in far more labors, in far more imprisonments, beaten times without number, often in danger of death. Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep. I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren; I have been in labor and hardship, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. Apart from such external things, there is the daily pressure on me of concern for all the churches. Who is weak without my being weak? Who is led into sin without my intense concern?

If I have to boast, I will boast of what pertains to my weakness.

Devotional:

Pain, suffering, hardships seem to befall us all, especially with everything going on around us.  It can feel like things are getting worse around us all the time.  I look at what is going on in my life and at times think how hard the hardships are.  Then I read about what Paul went through.  I think about all the suffering and hardships he lived through.  How pale my sufferings are in comparison.  In fact when I really think about it what I go through pale in comparison to what other people have to endure.

No matter who you are or where you live you will experience hardships in life.  God never promised an easy life.  Look at all Paul went through.  God will allowed one of His most faithful servants suffer endure such hardships through his life.  What makes us think we are any better?  What makes us think we shouldn’t suffer?  Iron ore when mined isn’t very useful or strong, but the refined steel is another story.  Iron is brought through the fire to become strong and purified.  It is through our trials that we rely on God the most.  It is during our hardships we are refined, our faith becomes stronger.  God doesn’t cause pain and suffering.  He will use the difficult times to help us grow closer to Him and become stronger in our faith.  Otherwise we might simply forget that we need God.

No one wants to suffer or go through hardships.  Everyone wants a good and prosperous life.  God may not fill our lives with earthly riches.  He will provide for our every need.  He will protect us from our enemies.  God will strengthen us to make it through the hard times.  All we have to do is rely on Him and trust in Him.  Jesus sent us an enabler to fill us and strengthen us.  Through the Holy Spirit we are able to overcome all things.  Look at all Paul endured.  Yet his faith was unshakable.  He did not have the power to endure on his own.  Yet through the Holy Spirit he endured and helped reshape the world… 

No comments:

Post a Comment