Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Focusing On God


Scripture:
2 Peter 3:17-18
(NASB)

You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness, but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

Devotional:

Distractions are everywhere.  Driving down the road you have billboards, signs, and other advertisements.  If that isn’t enough we have the radio to play.  On top of that there are other cars on the road.  There are times when even the weather can be distracting.  When you get in a car to drive you have a purpose, a goal in mind.  You have a destination to reach.  In our lives we have a goal in mind a destination to reach.
If you watch primetime TV the show you are watching will be interrupted by commercials.  The goal of the commercial is to get you to purchase what is being advertised.  Satan has similar tactics in our lives and Peter warns us to be careful.  We are to watch ourselves and be on guard.  How can we keep our focus where it needs to be?  One way to start is by prayer.  It helps to begin your day in prayer.  To recommit yourself to God even before the day begins.  Another helpful tool to keep ourselves on track is to read scripture every day. 
I remember when I was a teenager I picked up a friend and mentor.  As he got into the car I changed the radio station from a soft rock station to a Christian station.  He asked what I normally listened to and went through all the presets on the radio.  I then realized the importance of what I listened to.  Today ninety percent of what I listen to is Christian radio.  Having the constant reminders of God helps me to keep my focus on Him.  If I listen to another station that plays a lot of music from the eighties or nineties I tend to reminisce of days gone by.  My focus becomes that of the past.  I tend to start thinking on all those things I wanted to do, or feel that I missed out on.  I start pondering what it was like back then.  It then becomes easy to yearn for days gone by.  The problem is now I have lost my focus on what it should be on.  There is nothing wrong with remembering days gone by.  It is important that they, or anything else, do not become a distraction from God.  

God is what we need to focus on.  One tool that helps me is listening to Christian music all the time.  I can take moments all through the day to offer up praise, thanks, or just to pray.  Remember 2 Peter 3:18, “but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.”  Focusing on God, reading scripture, praying will help us all grow in Grace and increase in knowledge.  What tools might you use?  Find what helps you keep your focus on God.

No comments:

Post a Comment