Thursday, December 1, 2011

God's Whispering Voice...



There is a question that troubles most of us at one time or another.  How do I know I am hearing God’s voice?  How do I know what He wants me to do? OK, that is two questions.  Over the years I have learned that God speaks loudest in a small whisper.  It is only when I am still and quite can I hear Him.  In order to best hear God we must focus on him and not allow the loud and busy distractions of the world get in the way.  We need to focus our thoughts and pray continuously.  When we release the distractions around us the noises that block God’s voice disappear.  At these times we will hear Him speak to us.  When I allow myself to get caught up in worldly things I lose sight of God.  I become too distracted to hear Him speak.

OK now that we think we heard His voice how do we know it is Him speaking?  A couple of thoughts you can use for a check list.  The first one, is what I am hearing contradicting God?  When you think you know what God is telling you does it go against scripture?  Does it go against the teachings of Christ?  People often say God told me to… and it clearly goes against His own word in the Bible.  The next thought I have is there peace in His calling.  Do you feel peaceful about what you think you hear God telling you to do?  If not then chances are God isn’t calling you to it.  Do not mistake apprehension with having no peace about it.  We can be apprehensive and nervous about God’s calling.  Some of the things I know God has called me to do I was scared to death over.  In the end my fears were put aside and things worked out.  My third and final thought about this is threes.  If you think God is calling you to something ask Him to confirm it in signs of three.  He will give you the confirmation you ask for.  However when the third sign appears you better be ready.

OK hearing God’s voice entails listening by removing all distractions.  He will not contradict Himself.  You will be at peace with what you hear if it is truly from Him.  You can ask for confirmation and He will give it.  Remember that Satan is a deceiver and will do anything to distract you and move you farther from God.  He will use parts of the Bible in what sounds like absolute truth to distort God’s word.  He might be trying to convince you of something and it might sound like the truth.  Parts of the truth will even be there.  That is why it is important to make sure it fits the mold before buying into it.  An example might be a calling into full time missions.  God does call people to mission work.  We are asked to give sacrificially to those in need.  However, God will not call you to a mission field when you are needed at home.  He will not call you give everything you own if it means putting your family out on the streets with nothing.  Remember God will not contradict Himself and you will be at peace with what He calls you to.  Ask for confirmation for what you think you hear.  

I would appreciate any thoughts or comments on this devotion.  May God be with you and guide you.  May we all hear his soft quite voice as He speaks to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment