Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Shortcuts



I remember a few years back Nancy and I tended a Home Church that was just starting.  At first everything seemed great.  We agreed with just about everything they stood for.  Then it happened and I knew it wasn’t such a good thing.  Oh the people there are great and strong believers in Christ.  They genuinely had a hunger for Christ.  There were just a couple of small things that I didn’t agree with.  One of the things, which I thought was good, was eating a meal together before service.  After the meal we had what is traditionally known as communion.  The hosts provided juice and bread for everyone.  The person in charge read scripture and prayed and we took communion in our family units throughout the kitchen.   What got me though was at the end left over bread and juice was just dumped in the trash.  It was just leftovers to be tossed out.

1 Corinthians 11:25-27 (NIV)

In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.”  For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.

So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.

Just seeing the casualness of the process really bothered me.  I made sure to explain what we were doing and why to the kids.  I also spoke loud enough for others to hear me.  I expressed the importance of what we were doing and not to just casually toss aside any aspect of it.  Years later I still have a hard time with partaking in communion in certain churches and settings.  I wonder if I have moved beyond respect and honoring God to just going through traditional motions.  When we do take part in Communion we need to remember we are honoring God and remembering what Christ has done for us.  We are reminded what the cost that was paid really is.  I think we tend to dumb things down so they don’t seem so bad.  Christ was brutally beaten and died an excruciatingly painful death.  He did so willingly so that we might be restored in our relationship with Him and God.  In my opinion we should not take anything lightly when it comes to honoring Christ.  Throughout the Bible God has given explicit instructions on how to do certain things.  We are told the how, when, and with what materials to use.  Should we substitute with our own thoughts and ideas?  Should we change what God has deemed proper?  Bottom line is God knows our hearts.  God knows our intentions.  In all things we need to seek His guidance and be open to what He tells us.  Let us honor Him in all we do and not take cheap shortcuts…

Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment