Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Give God Praise Anyway


Scripture:
Psalm 103:2-5
(NIV)

Praise the Lord, my soul,
    and forget not all his benefits—
who forgives all your sins
    and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit
    and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things
    so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.

Devotional:

Praise the Lord, my soul…  There are times when we just do not feel like praising God.  When the chips are down or things are not going the way we would like it becomes easy to blame God and not praise Him.  It is with a sad and yet joyful heart that I share the loss of a friend, G.  One of the ROMEOs passed away last week. In case you are wondering ROMEOs stands for Retired Old Men Eating Out.  They are a group of men who meet like clockwork every morning at a local coffee shop.  One of them had been battling illness for close to a year now.  Finally he went home to be with the Lord.  We might not see how this calls for praise.  After all doesn’t Psalm 103 explicitly state God will heal our diseases?   

I have three things to share about this thought.  One, not all healing is how we think it should be.  Sometimes we receive the ultimate healing by being brought home to heaven.  There is no disease, hurting, or sadness in heaven.  We will have new bodies and will be made perfect in all ways.  How about that for healing?  Second, not all healing is physical healing.  Sometimes we need the spiritual healing that only God can give, which He promises us.  We are spiritually renewed in Christ.  Finally despite, or in case of, the earthly loss of G. there is reason for giving God praise.  G. is no longer suffering or in pain.  He no longer has to go in weekly for treatments to keep a failing body running.  He is at peace with our savior.  Isn’t that praise worthy.  Despite my sadness at losing G. I have lots to praise God for.  Even though I am saddened at the loss my soul is renewed through Christ.  To put it like a pastor once did, I haven’t lost a friend.  I know where he is, and he is waiting for me, and the rest of his family and friends.  I will give praise for all the benefits that come with Following Christ.  Next time something goes wrong, stop and give God praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment